The High Peak Marathon is insured through The Fell Runners Association and organised under FRA rules. Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification from this and future events.
- The HPM is open to teams of four all of whom must have experience of strenuous winter expeditions in the mountainous country and must be 18 years of age or over at the start of the race.
- Every entrant must sign the registration form to confirm that they:
– have read these Event Details and Rules.
– understand the nature of the event and the potential risks.
– have the navigation skills and experience in winter mountain walking/ running.
- Teams must register at Edale Village Hall at least one hour before their given start time and present their kit for examination.
- Numbers issued at registration must be worn on the chest.
- Teams must be self sufficient, with no supporter assistance (inc. food hand-outs) or pace-makers.
- Teams must register at every checkpoint together as a four, stay in contact with each other and assist each other throughout the event.
- Cut Off times- Teams are advised to retire on reaching Cut Gate after 0800hrs, Snake Summit after 1200hrs or Edale Cross after 1300hrs and wait for a lift in the minibus. This is simply because we stop serving food at 4pm and leave Edale by 5.30pm.
- Retiring from the event. GOLDEN RULE- If retiring alert checkpoint marshalls or call event HQ as soon as possible by mobile phone/ call box to prevent mountain rescue being called. The emergency number will be confirmed at registration.
In the event of injury continue if possible to a checkpoint. Or use emergency bivvy and use mobile phone/ continue as pair to checkpoint/ or attract attention of another team. Note that the checkpoints are generally located on paths leading to the valley and may be a better escape route than descending directly. There is an extra emergency checkpoint at the road end on west side of Howden Reservoir (SK 168 939) Retiring teams can wait here for transport back to Edale.
Continuing as a team of three--This can only happen on reaching the checkpoint at either Moscar or Snake where retirees can be kept warm until picked up by vehicle. The remaining team must carry all the team kit between them as required by rule 9. It follows that if a retiring team member is making use of the tent and sleeping bag then the whole team must retire. Do not expect to be able ditch your suffering team-mate at any checkpoint and carry on!
- Clothing– to be worn or carried :
a) Footwear with suitable grip for steep ground.
b) Warm full body cover, hat and gloves.
c) Additional warm top*.
d) Waterproof over-trousers with taped seams
e) Waterproof anorak or cagoule with hood and taped seams.
*Full thermal base layer + warm top+ waterproof outer is the bare minimum. Extra mid-layer is recommended.
To be carried by every competitor:
a) Adequate food and drinks bottle/bladder.
b) Separate emergency rations.
c) Torch with spare batteries to give 8hrs use.
d) Map of whole route at 1:50,000 scale or larger. ( Harvey’s 1:25000 Super Walker map is excellent)
g) Survival bag
- To be carried between the whole team:
a) Tent or Emergency Shelter eg Kisu/Mountain bothy bag/clan tent for 4 people (or 2 x 2 person bag)
b) One Sleeping Bag
c) First Aid Kit
The Tent or Shelter – must be complete and be capable of being used as intended by the manufacturer (i.e don’t just bring the fly sheet of a tent). Mountain Rescue recommend a bothy bag for speed and efficiency.
A ‘Blizzard Pack’ is acceptable as a sleeping bag.
First Aid Kit must contain as a minimum; a triangular bandage; a large wound dressing; a selection of plasters for minor cuts; tape; disposable gloves and any personal medication. Gaffer tape is recommended by mountain rescue to fix almost everything. Wrap some around your water bottle!
13. Technology– We encourage you to carry a mobile phone for emergency purposes.
Allowed– Altimeters and devices which can only record your route.
Not Allowed- devices which can show your location, either on a screen map or by coordinates. These may be carried in sealed bag.